The Art of Matcha! With Recipe
You may have seen matcha lattes at your favorite coffee shop since they have become very trendy recently! But how much do you know about this green tea and what about its health benefits?
Matcha is finely ground powder of specially grown and processed green tea leaves, traditionally consumed in East Asia. It is special in two aspects of farming and processing: the green tea plants used for matcha are shade-grown for three to four weeks before harvest, and the stems and veins are removed during processing.
Because matcha is a concentrated form of green tea, it has been reputed by enthusiasts for centuries that it possesses stronger health benefits associated with green tea. Although caffeine is more concentrated in matcha, the main component said to reduce stress is theanine.
Theanine's stress-reducing effects were tested at The School of Pharmaceutical Sciences on university students and confirmed that students who ingested 3 grams of matcha had reduced anxiety than students who consumed a placebo.
Learn how to make your own dairy-free matcha lattes with this recipe!
(for 1 serving)
- 1 teaspoon high-quality matcha powder, plus more for dusting
- 1/4 cup warm water
- ½ tablespoon honey, optional
- 1/2 cup dairy free milk, such as almond or oat
- pinch of ground cinnamon and/or ginger, optional
- Add the matcha to a mug and pour in the water and honey if using.
- Whisk with a small whisk or a matcha whisk, until tiny bubbles form on the surface.
- Froth the milk by adding it to a resealable jar. Shake vigorously until many bubbles form. Then, microwave the milk for 45 seconds to 1 minute, which will help create stable bubbles.
- Pour the milk into the tea.
- Dust the top with cinnamon if desired.
To make an Iced Matcha Latte:
Use the same ingredients but don't heat up the milk. Mix the matcha and milk together (can be done in a blender for frothiness or a jar) and then pour over ice. Now you can have matcha all summer long!
Check out all of our cute tea inspired stationery below:
Cozy Weekend FlipTop Notecard Box
Still Life GreenNotes